This Page will be updated regularly with the latest news regarding summer 2020 at BB Camp
We will continue to communicate with you as timely as possible, as we proceed through this information gathering process.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to your BB Camp staff, Michelle Koplan, Executive Director, mkoplan@bbcamp.org, Bette Amir-Brownstein, Overnight Camp & BB Day Camp Lincoln City Director, bamirbrownstein@bbcamp.org, or Chanel Bourdeau, BB Day Camp Portland Director, cbourdeau@bbcamp.org. We will be happy to answer your questions as well as we can at this time. In the meantime, we send good wishes to everyone in our camp family. We appreciate your patience, partnership, and on-going support. We look forward to being in touch again when there is more information to convey.

UPDATE Thursday, May 21, 2020

This week, the BB Camp team had a very positive meeting with the Oregon Governor Kate Brown’s team regarding the guidelines for Summer Camps. In addition to providing the American Camp Association Field Guide for Camps on Implementation of CDC Guidance in regards to COVID-19, as a resource to the Governor’s team, we presented the value of summer overnight camp for thousands of statewide children, young adult staff, and the community. We highlighted the importance of camps making the best choice for their own communities to open and operate if they so choose, with the understanding of each camp’s unique resources and facilities. And, we stressed that time is not on our side, and we need to act quickly.
The Governor’s team was very responsive and collaborative. They indicated that it was the Governor’s Office intention to ensure overnight camps could open, with overnight camp guidelines yet to come (Oregon State’s Day Camp Guidelines were published on May 15). They indicated that it was their hope to announce the overnight camp guidelines by the beginning of June. With our nearly 100 years of service to the community, BB Camp offered to assist as an integral resource for the Governor’s Office as they work towards creating guidelines for Oregon’s overnight camps to open and operate. We are meeting, again, with the Governor’s team on Friday afternoon.
Additionally, we conveyed to the Governor’s Office that the headlines being sensationalized by the media were not helpful to our field, and asked if they could help in some way. It was shared that they indeed asked the media to retract headlines, and they’re working with the Governor’s and OHA’s communications teams to correct any misinformation provided to the community. They indicated their willingness to put out a public statement to correct the messaging.
We can’t thank our BB Camp community enough for your continued patience as we navigate through this turbulent time. We are committed to share information with you as soon as it becomes available.

UPDATE Saturday, May 16, 2020

The health and safety of our BB Camp community is always our highest priority. Governor Kate Brown announced, during her recent briefing, that summer camps throughout the State of Oregon will have the opportunity to open this summer. As you may have heard or seen, Guidelines for Summer Day Camps in the State of Oregon have been released from the Governor’s Office.  Within the Guidelines, there is a line which indicates that overnight camps will not open and operate “at this time,” which is a different message than in the two former drafts. Until we receive forthcoming clarification from the Governor’s office on what “at this time” means, BB Camp remains in a “wait and see” position.  Once we review the guidelines, BB Camp’s leadership team, with our medical experts, will assess how we can best serve our community. We know that during this turbulent time, our campers are looking forward to BB Camp now, more than ever!

UPDATE Thursday, May 14, 2020

Governor Kate Brown announced, during her recent briefing, that summer camps throughout the State of Oregon will have the opportunity to open this summer. Tomorrow, we expect the Governor’s Office to provide the guidelines and recommendations, informed by the Oregon Health Authority, to allow for the opening of the season.
The health and safety of our BB Camp community is always our highest priority. Once we review the guidelines, BB Camp’s leadership team, with our medical experts, will digest the information. We will then assess how we can best serve our community, within the guidelines provided. We understand that our BB Camp programs may not look like they have ever before, which will likely include modifications to our programming, offerings, and possibly session schedule changes. As we consider a variety of options, with health and safety as our lens, we want your feedback. Please complete this survey to help us as we think deeply about Summer 2020!

UPDATE Thursday, May 7, 2020

The BB Camp leadership has established a plan to carefully move us through the decision making process for our summer programming. We remain committed to stay our course to “Wait and See.” We have been told that the “Field Guide” from the American Camp Association (ACA), informed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), will be published in just a few short days . With this resource and protocols from our local health authorities, we will make our decisions for summer programming in the coming weeks.  We will continue to communicate with you as timely as possible, as we proceed through this information gathering process.

UPDATE Thursday, April 30, 2020

We hope you are staying safe, healthy, and getting along well at home. As many of you may have heard, there are several camps, both regionally and nationally, who have now chosen to cancel their summer sessions. During this time, camps and organizations are assessing their own factors to determine what is best for their camp community. The processes and timeframes vary greatly from camp to camp and will not necessarily align with each other. BB Camp continues to stay our course to “Wait and See.” We are patiently waiting to receive guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), resources from the American Camp Association (ACA), and protocols from our local health authorities. We will make our decision for summer programming on the information provided by these sources.

The health and safety of everyone in our BB Camp community is always our highest priority. Before we can open for the season, we must know from local health authorities that it is safe to do so. In addition to our local experts, we are heeding guidance and advice issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Camp Association (ACA). Both organizations currently are preparing “Field Guides,” including decision trees, which we believe will be available shortly, to aid camps in making prudent decisions for this summer. We remain hopeful about opening camp, but we have an obligation to prepare responsibly.

Once we receive the guidelines, BB Camp plans to digest the information and work through our committee process to be planful. BB Camp intends to be driven by science and data to make decisions that are best for our BB Camp community.

UPDATE Friday, April 24, 2020

Many of you were able to join us at one of the BB Camp Family Information Sessions this past week.  Thank you for your time and great questions.  Our goal was to “pull back the curtain,” and give an insider’s view of what BB Camp is grappling with in the face of this pandemic.

Safety and security are always the highest priority for BB Camp. We shared that, with the assistance of multiple national and local resources, we have been thinking deeply about the details of medical and operation protocols and procedures for all three of our camps.

Additionally, we communicated that the American Camp Association (ACA)- our accrediting body- and the Association for Camp Nursing (CAN) are working diligently with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to produce guidelines on how to safely open and operate day and overnight camps.  We have been on multiple calls, every week for the past six weeks, as these protocols are being developed. Currently, we are patiently waiting for the final version of the official CDC guidelines to be disseminated, which we are told will be delivered in the next few weeks. Once we have the CDC and ACA guidelines and protocols, then we will be able to develop our own BB Camp plans, procedures, and protocols, which we will share with our families.

During the Family Information Sessions, some of the most salient questions arose surrounding the May 15, 2020, balance due date, plus the cancellation and refund policies. We heard your concerns. The financial impact of this pandemic is deep and pervasive. It has touched us all. As always, BB Camp is here for your family and the community. Immediately following the Family Information Sessions, the BB Camp Board of Directors convened and made unprecedented decisions due to these uncertain times. Please see the following:

Final Balance Due Date Extension for Summer 2020:
Final balances are now due by June 5, 2020, rather than May 15, 2020. Families can process the payment through your CampInTouch Dashboard, or BB Camp will automatically charge the card on file on June 5th. Payments made prior to the June 5th deadline are very much appreciated during this unprecedented time.

If your family is experiencing financial challenges and needs to make other payment arrangements, please email Allison Kaufman, Operations Director, akaufman@bbcamp.org to make arrangements or apply for financial aid.

Updated Cancellation and Refund Policies for Summer 2020:
If BB Camp is offering a child(ren)’s camp session, but the family chooses not to send their child(ren):
For any cancellations related to COVID-19, received after March 16, 2020, and up to 15 days prior to the first day of the camper’s session, the family will be provided the options below. Within 14 days prior to the first day of the camper’s session, BB Camp no longer will offer refunds or credit for future camp programs.

If child is sick within 14 days of the camp session and not allowed to come to Camp:
BB Camp will provide the options shown below.

If BB Camp cancels any sessions: Families will be notified immediately and will be provided the options below.

OPTIONS (see above for details and date deadlines):

  1. Contribute your camp fees to BB Camp as a donation- Your donation will be matched 1:1 by the Harold Grinspoon Foundation and may be tax deductible. We will provide an acknowledgement letter for your gift. Thank you!
  2. Credit your deposit and camp fees towards your camper(s) 2021 summer camp session(s).
  3. Refund in full, including deposit- Refunds may be disbursed over a period of time.

BB Camp is committed to serving community. We have been, and will continue to, work hard to create excellence in programming and services now and into the next 100 years. In order to do this important work right now, BB Camp relies on your support. As a nonprofit, we want to ensure we come out on the other side of this crisis in a strong position, ready to serve.

If your family needs to cancel, please consider a donation, of any size. Your gift will be matched 1:1 by the Harold Grinspoon Foundation’s All Together Now match program. What we know for sure is that when this pandemic finally slows down, the programs and services we provide at BB Camp, the BB Camp magic, will be needed like never before!

P.S. The following are links to a just a few of the resources we are monitoring daily from some of our partners that might interest you:

UPDATE Tuesday, March 31, 2020

We hope this message finds you and your family healthy and comfortable during this unprecedented and unpredictable time. We understand that there are a lot of unknowns and while summer camp plans may not be at the top of your mind today, we want to assure you that we are planning for an amazing, exciting, and most importantly, a safe summer of camp activities starting as scheduled at the end of June! To answer questions that you may have, we
have compiled the following information for you.

Is Camp still happening? Yes! BB Camp is in constant communication amidst this COVID-19 situation with the American Camp Association and a myriad of other national resources and medical experts to ensure our staff are prepared for the summer. We are diligently planning
for an amazing, exciting, safe, and healthy summer of camp activities, with BB Camp sessions
starting as scheduled!
Is there still an Early Bird Discount? Yes, our final Early Bird Discount has been extended to April 8th, just before Passover! Please help us grow our BB Camp community and encourage friends to join us this summer! When do I need to pay my full balance? Final balances are due by May 15th. Families can
process the payment through your CampInTouch Dashboard, or BB Camp will automatically charge the card on file on May 15th. Payments made prior to the May 15th deadline are very much appreciated during this unprecedented time. If your family is experiencing financial challenges and needs to make other payment arrangements, please email Allison Kaufman, Operations Director, akaufman@bbcamp.org to make arrangements or apply for financial aid.
Are there program insurance options? BB Camp is happy to announce the availability of Program Protector Plan insurance options for families. See information here.

Despite all of BB Camp’s efforts, what happens if our session is canceled? BB Camp is a nonprofit organization and canceling any sessions will be extremely challenging for us financially and, of course, emotionally. All year long, we look forward to seeing our campers over the summer! The financial implications of closing any of our camps will be serious, as we have incurred – and will continue to incur – many costs, whether or not camps run this summer. This will have a lasting impact on our budget, our programming, and our organization for years to come. We want to retain staff throughout the duration of this pandemic in order to continue to provide a growing range of on-line programs and services alongside planning for what we expect to be a fabulous summer at BB Overnight and BB Day Camps! And, we want to ensure we come out on the other side of this crisis in a position to serve our BB Camp community for the next 100 years. What we know for sure is that when this pandemic finally slows down, the programs and services we provide at BB Camp, the BB Camp magic, will be needed like never before!

If BB Camp cancels any sessions, families will be notified, and will be given several options, including:
1. Contribute your camp fees to BB Camp as a donation: Your donation may be tax deductible. We will provide an acknowledgement letter for your gift. Thank you!
2. Credit your camp fees towards your camper(s) 2021 summer camp session(s).
3. Refund in full: Refunds may be disbursed over a period of time, depending on a variety of variables at that time.

What is the refund policy if BB Camp is offering our session, but I don’t feel comfortable sending my child(ren)?

If you cancel before May 15th, you’ll be refunded in full minus the deposit. After May 15th, we no longer can offer refunds.

What is the refund policy if my child is sick right before and not allowed to come to camp?

If you cancel before May 15th, you’ll be refunded in full minus the deposit. After May 15th, we will require a doctor’s note for a refund minus the deposit. As the COVID-19 situation is fluid, it is possible that this policy will change as we more closely approach the summer.

BB Camp ruach (spirit) is alive and well, and we are here for you! We are so excited to welcome our campers to a summer of building friendships for life!